With the recent This American Life podcast episode on Bishop’s Interviews, the reaction from women and men has been one of pain, trauma, sorrow, grief, confusion, and bewilderment. Join Lesley as she speaks with Sabra, Azul, Rebecca and Miguel to discuss their thoughts on this topic.
We cover these questions in PART 1:
- Have you felt re-traumatized or even confused about what the reality was and is regarding this issue?
- Have you wondered how this issue impacts women of color and those from diverse cultures?
- Do you find yourself trying to parse out your own experiences with worthiness interviews?
- How does the Mormon repentance narrative become confounded by this practice of bishop’s interviews?
- What are some of the lasting effects of probing bishop’s interviews on a female’s sexuality, identity, and authority?
- How do men feel about this issue? Do they share the experiences of women regarding sexual identity development and sexual shame?
***This episode has a trigger warning for spiritual abuse, sexual abuse, and sexual shame.
Discussed in this episode: