- Why is Cinco de Mayo all about drinking Tequila and pretending to be Mexican (performing “brown-face”)?
- What is Cinco de Mayo?
- When was Cinco de Mayo introduced to the USA?
- For what reasons was Cinco de Mayo introduced to the USA?
- In what ways has white America appropriated Cinco de Mayo?
- Are there any parallels in which St. Patrick’s Day and Cinco de Mayo are celebrated in the USA by white Americans?
All these questions and more are discussed in this episode of The Racism 101 Podcast with Dr. Darron Smith, Azul Uribe, and Miguel Barker-Valdez.
Please leave an email question for Dr. Darron Smith to answer on the podcast by filling out the form below. We encourage our listeners to email us a voice-mail question so we can play it on the podcast. Also, please share this podcast with friends if you find this series helpful.
Dr. Darron Smith and Miguel Barker-Valdez (please sure to scroll down and see pictures posted at the bottom of this episode)
Click on the following links to learn a little more about Cinco de Mayo and its history in the USA. Also see pictures of Benito Juarez, Emperor Maximilian, Napoleon III. and a map of Mexico showing where Puebla, Mexico City and Vera Cruz are in relation to each other Also we’ve embedded the video from MSNBC that has some huge racist problems with regards to Cinco de Mayo.